On Sunday night, John Oliver devoted 17 minutes of his show to discussing prisons and criminal justice policy. He touches upon:
(1) how Sesame Street is now teaching kids how to cope with a parent that is incarcerated
(2) mandatory minimums for drug offenders
(3) the disproportionate number of minorities in prison
(4) the lack of services for prisoners, including inadequate food
(5) the privatization of prisons
(6) how privately owned prisons look for investors by arguing that they are good investments because of “high recidivism rates”
It’s incredibly well done. To see it, click here.